The History of the Village Begins with the Valley
The Nacoochee Valley Historic District is in White County, Georgia. The valley is enclosed by Mount Yonah, and Sal Mountain. Manmade objects in the valley span centuries. The most obvious Native American artifact is the Nacoochee Mound at the western edge of the valley, which is 17 feet tall and 70 feet in diameter. There are structures throughout the district since the settlement of European people in the 1820s. The Richardson-Lumsden house and the Williams-Dyer Residence date from the early period of settlement by European people. The most elaborate structure is the Nichols-Hunnicutt-Hardman House. The area was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. It is adjacent to the Sautee Valley Historic District.
The Nacoochee Mound is an archaeological site on the banks of the Chattahoochee River in White County, in the northeast part of the U.S. state of Georgia, at the junction of Georgia Georgia State Route 17 and Georgia State Route 75. First occupied as early as 100-500 CE, the site was later developed and occupied more intensively by peoples of the South Appalachian Mississippian culture (a regional variation of the Mississippian culture) from 1350 to 1600 CE. One of their characteristic platform mounds is located at the site. A professional archeological excavation revealed a total of 75 human burials, with artifacts that support dating of the site.
The mound was excavated, but a reconstruction was built. The 19th-century gazebo was added by a European-American owner of the land.
Unlike other Mississippian sites, this does not appear to have been occupied by the later Cherokee peoples. The site is part of the Sautee Valley Historic District; it was added to the National Register of Historical Places on August 20, 1986.